How Old Is Medley Thoughts

How Old Is Medley Thoughts

Thursday, December 23, 2010

How can I get along with my siblings? (Part 1)

 How can I get along with my siblings, this is one question we young peeps ask ourselves. Some siblings are very close. For example, my two older sisters Joy, 19, and Sarah, 21. They are like best friends, they get along easily, they do things together.
On the other hand, many people have a relationship like that of I and my kid sister Elera, 8. We fight almost about everything, she gets on my nerve! She barges into my room and borrows things without asking. She's such a child.
Do you have a sibling who gets on your nerve? Our parents, of course, have the responsibility to maintain order in the household. However, sooner or later just as I did learn, you will need to learn to get along with others, even your sibs. Guess what, you can learn that while at home and on this blog. You know I love you guys out there - my readers, and that's why I've decided to write this blog - actually it's my little secret on how I got to be my lil sister's best friend. Stick around and keep reading.
Think about the conflict you've had with your brother or sister. What do  you fight about most? Look at the list below and see which makes you angry or steam when your sib gets on your nerve.


Possessions. My sibling borrows my stuffs without asking
Personality clashes. My sibling acts selfishly or thoughtlessly or tries to run my life.
Privacy. My sibling enters my room without knocking or reads my e-mail or text messages without permission.

If your sibling constantly annoys you - bossing you around or invading your space - it might be hard not let resentment build. A book I once read says: "The squeezing of the nose is what brings forth blood, in other-words, the squeezing of anger is what brings forth quarreling. If you hold a grudge, it may well result in an angry outburst, just as squeezing your nose may cause blood to flow. Then the problem will only get worse. How can you prevent an irritation from bursting into ragging argument? A first step is to identify the real issue.

Problems between siblings are like pimples. The surface evidence of a pimple is an unsightly sore, but the cause is an under-lying infection. Similarly, an ugly clash between siblings is often just the surface evidence of an under-lying issue. You could treat a pimple by squeezing it. However, that would only be dealing with the symptom, and you may leave a scar or aggravate the infection. A better approach is to deal with the infection and thus prevent further outbreaks. It's the same when it comes to problems with siblings. Learn to identify the under-lying issue, and you'll  get past the incident and right to the root of the problem. You'll also be able to apply the advice of wise King Solomon, who wrote: "The insight of a man certainly slows down his anger." - Proverbs 19:11

For example, I said earlier about my kid sister Elera, "She barges into my room and borrows things without asking." That's the incident. Yet, what do you think is the real issue? Likely it's related to respect. Maybe then, since I'm the senior, I could have dealt with the problem by just telling Elera never to come into my room or use my things. But that solution treats only the symptom and would likely lead to further conflict. However, If I could convince Elera to respect my privacy and my property, my relationship with her then would no doubt improve. ...


Stick around for the part 2 of this blog, you'll really love it (^_*)

1 comment: