How Old Is Medley Thoughts

How Old Is Medley Thoughts

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

9jeria (Nigeria) my Father-land

   On my way to a friend's place on Friday the 1st of October, I stopped by the vendor's stand at Rumuokwuta junction to get a copy of my favourite Sports Newspaper. I noticed a group of people proudly dressed in the national colour singing and drumming happily, I wondered who they were so I stepped closer to find out; Just then I realised they were Christ Embassy members sharing free copies of the special independence edition of the Rhapsody of Realities. I was really moved by such philanthropic gesture, while I was still busy thinking how kind these people are to come out in their number spend their time, money and energy on people they don't even know and for the sake of our nation, I heared the two men at the vendor stand saying all sorts of nasty things; "these people are crazy o0h!" said the first man, "no they are idle" replied the other. "What exactly are they celebrating?" they continued, we don't have potable water, electric power supply, food, schools, medical centres, yet, they are dancing in the sun while the so-called leaders continue to enjoy themselves, they are fo0ls. I was so angry, I turned back immediately to give them a piece of my mind and by the time I was done they repented and made fresh commitments towards 9jeria (Nigeria). After my conversation with them, I felt a bubble on my inside, an inexplicable joy and the only words that kept spinning round and round in my head are as follows:

   "Arise 0 compatriots, Nigerian's call obey to serve our fatherland with love and strength and faith. The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain, to serve with heart and might, one nation bound in freedom peace and unity".

When I was much younger these words were just recitations that I was compelled to recite on the assembly ground every morning for so many years in high school, even though I didn't know the accurate words or what they really meant then. Most mornings I just stood there, I stood as a rebel because I couldn't see why we had to be tortured like this, so my friends and I made fun of the national anthem and pledge by making crazy mix of it.

   "I pledge to Nigeria my country to be faithful, loyal and honest to serve Nigeria with all my strength, to defend her unity and uphold her honour and glory so help me God."

This is the one we all know right? But we would say

   "I pledge to Nigeria their country not to be faithful, loyal and honest to serve Nigeria is not by force, to defend her unity and uphold her honour and glory, na me good to die?".

Back then it seemed like we were having fun but right now I see children with no love or patriotism for their nation. As I grew my understanding grew, my love grew, my loyalty grew, my interest and commitment grew. Few weeks before October 1st, I was excited for the forth coming independence celebration, I was so excited as though it was my birthday and this was such a contrast to what I would have felt in the past. Could it be because she was going 50 years? Yes this is her golden jubilee and so there must be much ado about her...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment